3 Silkies pipped

beekybuzzard

Songster
12 Years
Dec 21, 2007
SC
I had a friend that wanted to see if his silkie eggs were fertile and gave me 8 to put in the bator and check. The problem was he brought them to work in a tin can and left them in the truck all night and it got down to 22. I put them in and did not have much hope for them but within the last hour I have 3 pips. So I guess when I get home tomorrow I'll have 3 more to add to the brooder boxes. Right now I have 7 RIR, 1 BO, 1 BR, 2 silkies, 1 delaware, 2 seramas, and 2 black sex links in boxes and 7 EE that went outside into their 1st outside brooder (9 weeks old) getting ready to go with the rest of the big girls.
Next saturday 10 silkie and 30 RIR eggs going back in the bator.

Be careful of those silkies. They have mind control abilities. And now you're gonna
hatch 10 more??? They've got you bad.

Silkie chicks are SO cute. Be careful mixing them to with standard chicks. Mixing a
silkie with younger standards works well. I added 8 5 day old RIRs to my brooder
with 3 4 week old silkies tonight.

Only the three made it. I got home from work and the first pip in each one was still the only thing done. The cheeps were getting very faint so I went ahead and got them out myself. It took a while but they are doing pretty good now. The 10 to go in next week are not all for me. I am taking 1 of these to my nephew next week. He is 4 and is raising 6 RIR himself. He feeds and waters them, gathers the eggs, and totes them around with him once in a while. He is a pretty sharp little country boy. They already have him a separate setup for his silkie ready and once he is accustomed to it I will take him a mate for it. The others I will only keep 2 sets total and all the rest go to the guy who supplied the eggs, so he's the one in really deep. My silkies are in with a couple of seramas and these new ones will go there before too long and then they will get introduced to the next batch of RIR when they are a few days old so they will have the upper hand in the pecking order with that group.

Back
Top Bottom