3 squats today. Who will be first? Egg 3 from Lily new pics

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sharol, Dec 1, 2010.

1. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    I have 7 20 1/2 week old pullets. Yesterday the Easter Egger squatted for me. Today the GLW and the Golden Campine squatted. It was unmistakable. They even fluffed their feathers afterwards.

1. Easter Egger, Lily
    [​IMG]

2. GLW, Vic(toria)
    [​IMG]

3. Golden Campine, Scout
    [​IMG]

So I have a possible first egg that might be white, green/blue/brown, or brown. Can anyone tell anything from the pictures as to who might lay first?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  2. elizabethlongwood

elizabethlongwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    longwood, florida
    I can't really guess who will be first, since, in my experience, the reddest and biggest comb doesn't always determine who will lay first. Are any of them going in and out of your henhouse throughout the day and digging little nests? The squatting combined with the perpetual nest-making indicates that one of mine is just about to start.
    I have 2 pullets that also recently started squatting. A Buff Orpington and an Easter egger. They are 34 and 31 weeks old. I think my Easter Egger will lay first because she has been making lots of nests the past few days and sitting in the nest box too. Today is the first time my BO tried out the nest box....we'll see!
    Keep us posted, hope it happens for you before the weekend:)

3. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    My money's on Scout. [​IMG]

4. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    I'm guessing the Golden Campine! [​IMG] I just have a good feeling about her! [​IMG]

5. sharol

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    Until yesterday the Campine has been flighty and aloof. She hasn't been interested in being handled at all, even as a day old chick. Yesterday she stepped up into my lap when I was sitting on the patio. Then she went over beside me and sort of snuggled up. I attributed it to the VERY cold temperature, but maybe it was more than that. Her squat took me completely by surprise. I always try to skritch her on the back like I do the others, but she always runs off. Today she squatted and seemed to appreciate the attention. I sure hope the personality change is permanent.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I'm betting on Scout. I too have an EE that has gone from being very aloof, to squatting and friendly today. I also saw her checking out the nestbox today, though she didn't leave an egg. I'm kinda excited because I'm curious to see what color eggs I am going to get from her and the other EE.

7. SugarDuck

SugarDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Lamar, AR.
    We have a group of 4 hens that are starting to show signs of laying. First came the red combs, then the squatting. However, it seems to me that the best way to determine who is getting closer to laying is check the distance between the pelvic bones beneath the vent. If you can place two fingers between them and the more pliable they are then she is getting really close to laying. So far out of the 4 two of them have started laying. One of the two production reds laid first. I nice size egg and fairly dark brown too. Then we figured out the mutt of a mutt EE that we have was next. She laid a very light brown colored egg and very small in size. I think the other production red is next followed last by the Buff Orpington.

8. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I vote for Scout as well! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. sharol

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    [​IMG]
    And the Winner IS:

This is the egg:

[​IMG]

This is the egg in the nest box:

[​IMG]

This is the pullet that laid that beautiful little white egg:
    (I think it is white (it is a little bloody and still warm) , and I think it is Scout -- she was scratching around in there for a couple of hours)
    [​IMG]

10. Cavendish Chickens

Cavendish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    Did she sing an egg song? My girls sing like crazy when they're ready to lay. You can't tell who's who until the egg is laid. The color tells you who was "singing". My girl Mable laid this morning, and boy was she screeching out her song. You would have thought the egg was too big, but it was normal sized for her. lol Congratulations by the way! And here's to many more eggs to come!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by