3 Suspected Roos ... opinions please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CheekyChooks, May 22, 2011.

1. CheekyChooks

CheekyChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Doncaster
    Well, I've posted Ginger before and no-one really knows what to think cos she has a little comb but really fat legs! But I thought I'd ask your opinions on Peggy who is starting with small red wattles and Matilda who has always looked a little masculine to me ....

Anyway, here we go (All about 5-6 weeks)

Ginger (Shamo)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Peggy (Polish)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Matilda (Silkie X)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    1-roo
    2-roo
    3-pullet
    4-? sorry:( these are my guesses:)

3. CheekyChooks

Apr 22, 2011
    Doncaster
    Thankyou! The two white silkies are the same bird. I really want her to be a hen but those blue specks on the side of her face remind me of roo for some reason. Thanks for your help

4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I dont know anything about Shamo's but the comb is not very big or red for a boy. I am going to say pullets on all.

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:right..but dont those big fat honking tree stump legs scream ROOOOOO?? [​IMG]

6. sheila3935

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Yeah it does have some pretty good tree stumps going on, but from what I saw of the female pictures on feathersite the females have pretty think legs too. I really dont know anything about this chicken I am just going by comb size and lack of wattles. Usually with most not all though cockrels have larger combs and wattles and pretty red by 5-6 weeks.

7. CheekyChooks

Apr 22, 2011
    Doncaster
    Hmmm ... I better leave it another week or so then to see whether their combs get any redder. Peggy doesn't even have a comb right now but she has two little wattle spots showing ...

[​IMG]

8. sheila3935

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    yeah but her top hat looks round like a bonnet not all crazy bad hair day. The feamles top hat will be round the boys will look like David Bowie hair [​IMG]

9. CheekyChooks

Apr 22, 2011
    Doncaster
    Quote:Oh really? Thats interessting ... wonder if Silkies are the same then, I find those the hardest of all to figure out ... apart from Matilda I'm not even gonna try and guess its far too difficult! Thanks for the tip!

10. sheila3935

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I have 2 10 week old silkies and I have no idea. I have been told the males comb will get bigger and turn a purplish color but I think thats when they are older. I have a blue and a black. The blue is bigger even though they were hatched about the same time. I got them from Cackle. Neither have much of a comb and they are bearded so cant see any wattles. Guess I'll have to wait til they lay or crow. I am really hoping for 1 of each as I have people who want babies. Ok a question for any breeders, if I have a pair what color will their babies be? 50/50?

Last edited: May 22, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by