3 thermometers, 3 different temperatures???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by unicornmomma, Feb 28, 2017.

1. unicornmomma

unicornmomma Just Hatched

Oct 5, 2016
    Utah
    I purchased a Brinsea Octagon 20 Advanced and am getting ready to hatch some eggs in it. The problem is, I am trying to make sure the temp stays consistently where I want it with back up thermometers... And I get three different temps?? Which do I trust?[​IMG]

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    The Taylor one is NSF so it should be the most reliable. It is also able to be calibrated.. Did you calibrate it?

Of course, it is also designed to read solids and liquids, not air, so being that it is an "instant read" it may or may not read right.

Does the zoo med say what its accuracy is? (+ or - so many degrees)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  3. unicornmomma

unicornmomma Just Hatched

Oct 5, 2016
    Utah
    Not that I can find anywhere, no. The Taylor one is calibrated, yes, and there have been a bunch of times today that the temps on the Taylor and ZooMed have matched, and right now the Taylor says 99.4 while the Zoomed says 99.7, and the built in Brinsea thermostat says 101.1. I'm more inclined to believe two over one, but I also don't want to kill my eggs with too much heat! I think I may go pick up a good ol' mercury thermometer and pop it in tonight.

4. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    If they are not all taking temps from the exact same spot that may account for some of the difference

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by