3 to 4 week old chicks

lhines08

Songster
Jan 5, 2021
Pennsylvania
We have 11 - 3 to 4 week chicks in our basement in a brooder. The basement is around 60 to 65 degrees.
Latley they are not using the heat plate they have been all cuddling in the corner when they sleep.
Is it safe to just take the heat plate out at this point? I only asked because my son has a batch in the incubator and they are starting to pip and we will need it for them...

We have 11 - 3 to 4 week chicks in our basement in a brooder. The basement is around 60 to 65 degrees.
Latley they are not using the heat plate they have been all cuddling in the corner when they sleep.
Is it safe to just take the heat plate out at this point? I only asked because my son has a batch in the incubator and they are starting to pip and we will need it for them...

If they are not using the heat plate, then it should be safe to take it out.

They still need about 75-80 degrees at this age.

Not if they're healthy and have normal feathering (instead of Silkie or frizzle feathers). By 4 weeks they're fine down in the 40s, maybe lower.

More telling is the fact that they're choosing not to use the heat plate, so they've decided they're done with it.

I was just coming to post the same thing. Mine have the Brinsea 600 EcoGlow and turned 4 weeks today. The last 3 nights they’ve all slept up on the roosts. I only saw they under the brooder plate once today. I am hoping to move them outside in 2 weeks when it should be about 65/40 regularly. Was going to still leave the brooder in it outside and run power to it, but I’m wondering if they will need it. It’s 65 solid in my basement all the time.

It was 65 in the morning twice this week so I moved them outside each day for some fresh air and a new view. The coop will get attached to the run outside when they are ready so they’ll hopefully have a comfortable transition.
0AC38A58-9F5F-4171-BDF8-759900951E0F.png
68A5E1F9-72BD-4373-91FC-5157530A6BDE.jpeg

Last edited:
I was just coming to post the same thing. Mine have the Brinsea 600 EcoGlow and turned 4 weeks today. The last 3 nights they’ve all slept up on the roosts. I only saw they under the brooder plate once today. I am hoping to move them outside in 2 weeks when it should be about 65/40 regularly. Was going to still leave the brooder in it outside and run power to it, but I’m wondering if they will need it. It’s 65 solid in my basement all the time.

Yes, it sounds like your chicks are ready to do without the plate. :thumbsup

It was 65 in the morning twice this week so I moved them outside each day for some fresh air and a new view. The coop will get attached to the run outside when they are ready so they’ll hopefully have a comfortable transition.
View attachment 2567183View attachment 2567184
Hi there, I like your feeder and water dish, where can I buy them?

View attachment 2567183View attachment 2567184
Hi there, I love your water and feed dish, where did you buy them from?

Back
Top Bottom