3 to many

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rhondaa, Oct 26, 2009.

1. rhondaa

rhondaa Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2009
    North Tx
    I have 3 roosters ( 2 red star, 1 black star). I have had them since birth. They r now
    17wk old. I have not noticed them fighting much. I can kind of tell that 1 of the red star males is the head honcho, he is bigger and has been crowing since about 13wks old. As far as i know the other males r not doing this yet. My question is I have 23 female 3 male, will all males mate and do i have to many male not enough?
    All of my chickens r the same age and r not laying yet. Will the males fight when that time comes, or will they be ok since they where raised together?[​IMG]

Thank for the help

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    are you going to keep them all in the same pen? and how big is the pen? the best scenario would be to seperate 1 roo to each 7 or 8 hens (so three pens). Of course it can be done many other ways sucessfully but this would insure no fighting and better fertilization.

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    With the crowing, I had 2 buff orps and one black giant jersey roo together, the jersey never crowed till the day the orps went down the road. Then he let it loose letting everyone know he's in charge now. You shouldnt have to much fighting, not nearly as much as I did I only had 12 girls and 3 roo's. It was the buffs that did all the fighting starting at 18 wks till they left at 28 wks. Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by