3 TSC Bantams...need help identifying!!

Sparrow

Songster
11 Years
Apr 11, 2008
First I must say, I apologize for not having pics to post to make this easier, I just brought them home and want to give them some time to recover from being kept in with Cornish Rock chicks.
roll.png
I thought it was an interesting grouping, but what can you do.

I bought three "Assorted Bantams" at TSC tonight. One is a very nice golden-buff color all over, and it's teeny little wing feathers(they are about a week old) are coming in a creamy-pale gold color. No markings on the boddy, no feathers on feet.

The other two are a medium black color all over, with a white blotch underneath their chins covering the entire under-chin area to the top of the underside of the neck(if that makes any sense...not white from the blotch reaching around to the sides or top of the neck really), and a single, small white-ish dot on the backs o f their heads. Their wing feathers are growing in a light grey color, BUT the ends of each wing feather are a darker, medium grey. They are still tiny feathers because they are so young, but this coloration is quite obvious. No feathers on feet.

All chicks have a single comb, and their posture seems just like a normal chick, not terribly vertical of anything. I have no idea where to start with guessing these guys'(girls'?) breed...the only similar pictures I've seen so far were the Japanese bantams on McMurray's website. I'm crossing my fingers, but I've always wanted Bantams in general, so I love them no matter what.
smile.png

If you can give me any idea on where to start, I will start Googling some photos, I just need to be directed the right way! Thanks!

If they are black with white dots on the top of their heads and have a single comb, they are probably barred rocks. If they are just black with white on their chests, they could be a couple different breeds. But you may look up black australorp. Hope it helps.

The black ones have a little dot on the back of their heads, but the white patch under their chin kinda fades to grey down their fronts. They remind me a lot of one of my Black Australorp chicks when she was young, but these guys aren't quite as jet black, and they are Bantam. I've never had Bantams before, so I've been looking at chick pics all over the internet to try and figure them out.

I'm thinking they could possibly be Japanese Bantams, either Black, Grey, or Blacktailed Buff. The gold colored one looks just like the Blacktailed Buff I saw on Cackle Hatchery's website, and the black/grey ones look a lot like the Black o r Grey Japanese Bantams. Any thoughts on the possibility of these breeds?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom