3 week chick suddenly listless pooping alot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by joannefiddler, Nov 24, 2014.

1. joannefiddler

joannefiddler Chillin' With My Peeps

I have four 3 week old chicks hatched by their broody mom (two are Gold Laced Cochin, two are Cochin/Australorp cross). All have been fantastic and mom has them out free ranging and they have been interacting with the rest of the flock without incident. They still sleep with mom in the dog crate where she hatched them, but the crate is in the run. Suddenly this afternoon, I noticed one of the Cochin chicks apart from mama and the other 3. She was just sitting quietly, but not moving when mom called for a goodie (grasshoppers). I noticed a little caked poop and that she seemed to be straining a bit to poop. I cleaned her bottom up and saw her poop a bit a few more times. She is not interested in eating. She just gets to a safe place and then when mom and the other 3 move too far away, she runs to catch up but then just plops down. They have been eating medicated chick starter plus free ranging. I don't know if something she ate is disagreeing with her or if she might have some illness. Sure would appreciate any help.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you start them on Corid (amprollium) in the water for treatment of coccidiosis? The medication in the feed isn't enough to have to stop it, but it may not have been able to prevent it in this chick. Dosage of Corid is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1 1/2 tsp of the powder per gallon of water. It won't hurt the others to drink it, or you can confine Momma and chicks for 5 days while on the Corid.

3. joannefiddler

joannefiddler Chillin' With My Peeps

That's exactly what I've done. I held my breath this morning to see if the little one was still alive...and she was. I got the only pouch of Corid at my Tractor Supply store last night. Put it in the water this morning. My hens generally drink from a large bowl that the chicks can't reach, so it was easy to just put the medicated water in the two jar waterers the chicks use. Sometimes the hens will also drink from the jar waterers, so it's good to know that it won't do them any harm. I've also restricted their movement to the fenced yard area today so that the little one isn't chasing mom all over creation to try to keep up.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by