3 week chick update. Recommendations?

jnicholes

Free Ranging
7 Years
Feb 16, 2017
Dietrich, Idaho
Hi Everyone.

Its been three weeks since I got my chicks, and I just wanted to give an update and ask a question. They are actually starting to grow their first feathers! I have attached a picture. They are now getting to be bigger than my hand!

Here is my question, is there anything specific I need to do during the time they are growing their first feathers?

Thanks!

Jared

It sounds to me like they are doing fine!

If you're feeding them anything other than chick starter, you could start setting out a bit of grit for them. Won't be long until you can set them out in their coop (if you haven't already).

I have four that are 3 weeks today too! they have that same disheveled look. I think its gonna be rough seeing them go from cute little fuzzballs to the feathers. My husband told me they are getting ugly
hmm.png

Hi Everyone.

I have four that are 3 weeks today too! they have that same disheveled look. I think its gonna be rough seeing them go from cute little fuzzballs to the feathers. My husband told me they are getting ugly
hmm.png
Hi, welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

My only suggestions will be to not hold them tightly around the pin feathers, they are kind of painful.

Also, if you haven't taken them out to pasture yet... bring in a dish full of dirt so they can be exposed to your soil in order to build some immunity to the stuff in there before going out to pasture full time. They will love dirt bathing. If you weather is clear it is OK for them to go out. We have chicks on pasture as young as 3 days sometimes depending on the season. But our weather never goes above 65. I just give them a huddle box with the opening facing south to capture the sun. With enough room behind it if they need the shade. Start with short periods of time and work your way up to all day.

It's true, they all go through an ugly phase!
hmm.png

Just passed the 3 week mark with ours too. They sure do look rough in the transition from fluff to feathers. At least one of ours is starting to purr a bit too. We have our brooder set in a corner of our living room and its fun to just sit and listen to them talk to eachother

Hi everyone!

Thank you for the recommendations! And yes, they are getting kinda ugly! I actually just remembered another question. When they get fully feathered, should I remove the heat lamp?

They are doing really great so far!

Jared

Hi everyone!

Thank you for the recommendations! And yes, they are getting kinda ugly! I actually just remembered another question. When they get fully feathered, should I remove the heat lamp?

They are doing really great so far!

Jared
Once they are fully feathered there is no need for a heat lamp. Also when you remove it, like anything else in chicken keeping will depend on your conditions. At 4 weeks mine don't have heat anymore... they are in the house and where it is around 60 degrees and there are 10 of them to huddle for warmth. They still have fluff on their heads and a few other locations. But if they were outside where the temp is down to 47 at night, they aren't ready yet.

Also, many do not realize that chicks need a place in the brooder to cool off as well.

Back
Top Bottom