3 week Emu slipped tendon

Discussion in 'Ostriches, Emu, Rheas' started by Terri2014, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Terri2014

Terri2014 New Egg

May 18, 2014
    I would like to post an experience I had yesterday to be of help to others as I have acquired so much information from this site.
    I have a 3 week old Emu chick that I took outside to exercise in a newly built pen. I had already took out my month old chick to exercise and decided to see how they'd do together as I keep them separated due to a case of pecking and bullying by the older chick. These chicks have been given sav-a-chick electrolytes and vitamins since first hatched. I personally incubated them. All 3 I have were hale and hardy, no problems. The younger emu started racing around the pen while I sat there ready to stop any scuffling. I saw the chick slipping on gum balls from the tree that I had not removed from the pen. Suddenly the chick was flailing and flopping , obviously something was wrong. Upon inspection, the right leg seemed paralyzed and not able to be flexed. I picked him up, put him on his back in my lap and investigated. The right leg had obviously slipped a tendon. You could see, hear and feel it snap back into place. Looking at the bird, upside down, his right leg affected, the tendon would slide sideways, to the left when I flexed it. Like a rubber band rolling over. This bird is 3 weeks old and Emus are larger than chickens, so it was easy to see. The tendon wouldn't stay in place, knowing I had to do something to save him, I came inside, got vet wrap, cut a 3-4" long piece wide enough to wrap around the entire hock, about an 1" wide. I re-positioned the tendon while flexing his leg straight, with tendon in place, I wrapped the entire hock with the pressure pulling against the tendon opposite of the way it was slipped out. I also hobbled him. An hour later, watching like a hawk, I noticed him standing, trying to walk but fighting the hobbles so violently he'd fall flailing. I removed the hobbles and he stood and walked. After a little time I noticed that foot seemed puffy so I removed the hock wrap. Shortly after, he was once again unable to stand or walk. The tendon had slipped back out. I wrapped it again over the hock and went to bed exhausted. When I woke up he was laying down, I had already cut a new piece of vet wrap to replace. The hock wrap had slid to his ankles but, the tendon was still in place. I wrapped the hock again anyway. It has been 23 hours since the injury now , hock still wrapped, but he is walking and standing. Occasionally I see the affected leg tremble, but until I re wrap tonight I cant verify the tendon is in place, I can only assume it is because he is standing and walking. I will keep updating on this to let people know how this treatment pans out. Any comments or addition suggestions are welcome. I hope this information can help someone searching for treatment of slipped tendons.

2. briefvisit

briefvisit Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2013
    Data of all sorts is what makes this site a world leader

SE

3. Terri2014

Terri2014 New Egg

May 18, 2014
    It has been almost 3 days since the injury. I re wrap the hock once daily. So far, so good, tendon is in place, chick is walking, standing and even running in a confined pen. He is housed with a 2 week old chick that keeps him company. I have read in many other postings that there is little hope for a slipped tendon, and in even fewer places that if there is any hope it needs to be corrected within 24 hours. I witnessed the injury and started treatment in minutes. I was given a chick, 1 month old? last year that had been kept on a hard plastic surface that had leg problems, probably a slipped tendon. I hobbled him and he could walk...but, he eventually was put down. I have never before encountered this and never treated anything like this that I could identify without a doubt what it was, till now. This site empowered me with the information that I needed to know what it was, not really "what to do", so, I'm winging it here. I hope this information will one day help someone. I'll keep updating his progress, or decline if that happens....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by