3-Week in with hatchlings?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rSpriggs, Jan 21, 2009.

1. rSpriggs

rSpriggs Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2008
    Spirit Lake, ID
    I'll have about 64 hatching from batch #2 in a couple weeks, and I have ONE from batch #1 that's a week old.
    Lone Baby (a week old) is amusing herself now with a couple mirrors in her cage.
    Q: When batch 2 hatches & is a couple days old, can I place my (then) 3 week old in with them?
    If it was one-on-one, there'd be no contest, but I was wondering about one & 64 . . . ?

All thoughts are welcomed!

Russ

2. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

That shouldn't be a problem at all. I have mixed ages in my brooders several times and it's worked out just fine.

Wait a minute! Did you say 64 chicks? Holy cow! You're gonna be a very busy boy in a couple of weeks!!!

3. rSpriggs

Feb 3, 2008
    Spirit Lake, ID
    That's good to hear, Skeeter-
    Yep, I tossed an ad out on Craigslist, to see if anyone wanted organically-raised chicks, & got an outhouse of replies!

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Since it's that many I wouldn't see it as a problem. If it's 1 older chick with only a couple younger ones they sometimes can pick on them badly but with 64 there's way too many targets for them to pick on one to the point of harm. It probably won't even know who to try pecking and not bother.

5. rSpriggs

Feb 3, 2008
    Spirit Lake, ID
    Kinda what I'd thought - and hoped for. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by