1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 week little ones, any hope of hens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Accidental Farm, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Accidental Farm

Accidental Farm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2013
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Sam?
    [​IMG]
    Does a large fluffy tail mean hen or roo?
    [​IMG]
    These 2 barely have any tail feathers but cobs are less pronounced..

2. Accidental Farm

Feb 25, 2013
    [​IMG]
    this one is HUGE with a fluffy tail I called it Louise..but it may now be Louis
    [​IMG]
    Roos?
    [​IMG]

This is apricot...very fluffy tail..I have no idea about the gender.

Thanks for the imput in advance guys!!

3. Kassyc88

Kassyc88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2013
    Oklahoma
    I thinking they all look like pullets. A roo would have more of a red tone to the comb and these don't. But you can look at the primary feathers to tell, hens usually have a full span of two layers of feathers and Roos have one layer of feathers it's easier to tell when they are littler.:) hope it helps!!

4. Accidental Farm

Feb 25, 2013
    What about the tail feathers? Three have very long and fluffy tails...the other two have very short tails... Will that help me decipher who is who?

5. ChickenGrit

ChickenGrit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2012
    Crockett, VA
    My hens has a pretty big tail that was "vertical". The roosters had a big tail that was more fanned. That may not be true for all breeds. I had two "roosters" that I thought for sure were boys at 2 months old that turned out to be girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by