1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 Week Old Amerecauna having Severe Problems... PLEASE HELP!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ilovecluckersandmia, Jul 12, 2011.

1. ilovecluckersandmia

ilovecluckersandmia New Egg

Jul 12, 2011
    Hellooo,
    3-Week Old Amerecauna. Eating Starter Feed with grit. Lives in wood shaving and straw mix. Slightyly runny poop. Normal size, usually healthy
    My chick has been having problems with her left leg; her toes stay curled up and she's been limping severely. I moved her onto towels alone, and have been giving her electrolyte water. She has foot splints and leg splints. Now, the real problem i have is that she's been oddly opening her mouth and moving her tongue up and down crazily. I have no clue what this could be, and it's disturbing. I have no clue what it could be since she is eating and drinking properly. Please help, i'm very scared for her!!

2. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    I don't know from your description, but I would take her off the straw; she is too young to eat it, but not too young to try. Maybe she has some caught in her throat?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  3. ilovecluckersandmia

Jul 12, 2011
    Oh yeah, she does have issues with eating her shaving and occasionally biting the straw... I took her to a vet this morning so we're just going to see what happens. Thank you! [​IMG]

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:What did the vet say? please post and let us know. Thanks

5. ilovecluckersandmia

Jul 12, 2011
    I haven't gotten any word. The vet's just caring for her while she heals. Hopefully i'll get her back within a week! [​IMG]

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I hope so too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by