3 week old Australorps

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FeatherstoneFrm, Apr 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. FeatherstoneFrm

FeatherstoneFrm Songster

Aug 1, 2014
    Appling, GA
    Hi all, I have two Australorps that are both supposed to be pullets. One though has a comb that is more developed and light pink. I can also see the beginnings of the waddle.
    This one is much larger and maybe several days older than the others. I got six chicks from Tractor Supply.
    Here is a pick of my 2 Australorps. I would love to hear your opinions.

Attached Files:

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    The one to the right looks very likely to be a cockerel.

N Sully likes this.
  3. FeatherstoneFrm

FeatherstoneFrm Songster

Aug 1, 2014
    Appling, GA
    Oh no. These we're supposed to be pullets. I got 2 others that were straight run in the hopes of getting 1 roo. If I end up with 2 roos, is that going to be a problem in the coop?

4. Acre4Me

Acre4Me Crowing

Nov 12, 2017
    Western Ohio
    N Sully likes this.
  5. Gramma Chick

Gramma Chick Crowing

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York
    No - If they grow up together they should slowly work out their pecking order ..and be okay ..you just dont want to put 2 adults together
    Definitely one of each

N Sully and FeatherstoneFrm like this.
  6. FeatherstoneFrm

FeatherstoneFrm Songster

Aug 1, 2014
    Appling, GA
    This helps a lot. Thanks! Mine looks a lot like your male. I've read that sexing is only about 90% accurate so it looks like this one might be in the 10%. We'll wait and see. Also waiting to see what the two straight run chicks turn out to be. I hope I don't have 3 roos.

Acre4Me likes this.
  7. Gramma Chick

Gramma Chick Crowing

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York
    the Male Aussies comb will be red before he matures. The Female Aussies comb will redden before she starts to lay abot 4 - 5 months

N Sully and FeatherstoneFrm like this.
  8. FeatherstoneFrm

FeatherstoneFrm Songster

Aug 1, 2014
    Appling, GA
    Th
    One's comb is pink , the other one is yellow but just beginning to grow. They should be within a day or two agewise but I also have a little black unknown breed that still hasn't started feathering so I guess it is a wait and see game with all of them. It is fun though to compare and speculate.
    Thanks for your input!

N Sully likes this.
  9. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    How many hens will you have? Although roosters growing up together can stand each other, that isn't always the case. I've had multiple batches of chickss and the experience with roosters is 50/50 (personality wise). I've had brothers stick with each other but abuse the hens, brothers be indifferent to each other and kind to the hens, and brothers who would kill each other given the chance.

ChooksNQuilts likes this.
  10. FeatherstoneFrm

FeatherstoneFrm Songster

Aug 1, 2014
    Appling, GA
    I only have 6 chicks so prefer just 1 roo. May have to get a few more pullets. I wouldn't mind a full dozen.
    Im going to try not to count my roosters before they crow and hope the others are all hens.

Chicken Girl1 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: