3 week old babies! Help with breeds and genders?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Gemleaf, May 26, 2016.

1. Gemleaf

Gemleaf Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2016
    Hey y'all! My babies are now 3 weeks old and I need help figuring out their genders and maybe breeds too. I bought a broody hen and 10 eggs from a backyard farmer who didn't need anymore chicks. 7 of 10 eggs hatched and these are them.

This one came out of a blue egg. I've named her White Tip, like the shark because of the feathers on her wings. [​IMG]

This one I'm thinking is a cockerel. I saw him play fighting with another one of the chicks [​IMG]

And this is the one he was fighting with. [​IMG]

I love this one! I think I'm going to name it Robin. Super cute! [​IMG]

This one loves to be held and get attention! [​IMG]

This one also came out of a blue egg. [​IMG]

This one is by far the friendliest. She comes up to me as soon as I come outside [​IMG]

This is the whole flock together. [​IMG]

2. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    It is a little early to tell and some of the pictures are a little hard to see, but to me it looks like 2 girls and the rest boys. I don't know about breed, they look mixed.

3. Jayzandra

Jayzandra Chillin' With My Peeps

X2

4. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    It is a accurate time to guess,but play fighting means absolutely nothing,unless its super aggressive then maybe.

The first pic is a Easter Egger and looks like a pullet the pic below is a black sex link and is a girl,the one below I do not know breed,but to me,i'd say boy,the fourt picture looks like a girl,can I get a better pic of it's crown/comb?But,the fifth pic looks like a girl,the sixth pic possibly boy,the seventh pic (Your friendliest one),looks like a girl to me,and breed,I would say a mix.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  5. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    To young to sex for sure, but the breeds look like:
    Did the farmer say if they were mixed breed or not? Chances they are.
    #1 looks like an mix but since it came out of a blue egg its mother was most likely an Easter Egger (if it is a pullet it has the possibility to lay blue/green eggs for you)
    #2 looks like a possible BSL hybrid (which is a cross between a Barred Rock hen and a RIR rooster usually), if it is it is a pullet
    #3 Possibly a Black Australorp (or a Black Australorp mix), I'm thinking pullet
    #4 Another mix, again its mother was most likely an Easter Egger, but this one looks like a possible cockerel
    #5 Can you get a better picture?

Remember they are to young to sex for sure, I would post again around 6 weeks or more to try and confirm there genders.

6. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Any comb cherry red before 12 weeks,is 2-3 chances,a boy

7. Jayzandra

Jayzandra Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree. 1, 2, and 5 all look like for sure cockerels to me.

Last edited: May 30, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by