3 week old Barred Rock chick’s tail feathers picked off and bleeding

Cbraese

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2020
Arlington, TN
I am new to chicks and this group so any advise would be appreciated
I have 10 chicks around 3 weeks old. 5 barred rocks and 5 road island reds. Yesterday I heard and saw the other chicks pecking out the tail feathers of one. She was bleeding and now it seems like they all are going for her. I removed her into another tub but she chirps and wants back in with the others.

1. What’s the best way to treat the wound?
2. Is there a way to stop the others? I waited a few hours then put her back and watched. After a few min they all go back after her.

they don’t seem to be picked at anyone else. They chick seems healthy and is eating snd

Liberally apply neosporin to the wound and put her in the other tub. You can put one or two other chicks in with her to keep her company and see what happens. Ensure you provide them with food and water.
Once the wound completely heals, apply Vicks Vapor Rub to the area where she was pecked.
Once the others get a mouthful of that stuff, she wont get pecked again, apply as necessary.

Liberally apply neosporin to the wound and put her in the other tub. You can put one or two other chicks in with her to keep her company and see what happens. Ensure you provide them with food and water.
Once the wound completely heals, apply Vicks Vapor Rub to the area where she was pecked.
Once the others get a mouthful of that stuff, she wont get pecked again, apply as necessary.
Thanks so much

Back
Top Bottom