3 week old BR with really dark legs and no head spot???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hens4thehudds, Jul 25, 2011.

1. hens4thehudds

hens4thehudds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    San Marcos, California
    I have been trying to figure out the gender of my one of my 3 wk old BR chicks. I have been reading that if the head spot is clear (not fuzzy) and they have dark legs, also darker down it is a pullet, and if it has light /yellow legs and "fuzzy/frosted" not clear head spots, and frosted or lighter down it is a rooster.
    I have a chick (gresio) that has male coloration but dark dark legs?? Does one characteristic trump the other as an indicator?? Any input is appreciated:)

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
  3. hens4thehudds

Jul 7, 2011
    San Marcos, California
    Here are some updated pictues..
    The one on the left I am not sure if it is a hen or a rooter, I think the one on the right is a rooster ...but i am new to this... so all opinions are valued
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Thanks for any opinions...

4. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Hi and [​IMG] Do they have feathers on their legs? If so, probably not Barred Rock. Maybe a cross or ??? Are the undersides of their feet yellow, pink or white? [​IMG]

5. hens4thehudds

Jul 7, 2011
    San Marcos, California
    the underside of their feet are yellow..

6. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    Barred Cochin? They might be Cuckoo Marans though, they have light feathering on the legs, cochins have heavy feathering. Can you get a closer pic of their combs? It looks like they don't have single combs. Where did you get them from?

My barred cochin as a chick. She is the black and white one. She's my fluffiest one
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  7. hens4thehudds

Jul 7, 2011
    San Marcos, California
    Yes I will get some updated pictures on tomorrow, I was told they were barred olive eggers, and that they hatched from an dark olive green egg guess I just wasnt sure if the the barred rock rules apply to sexing the barred olive eggers. I am so new to this so... any information will help [​IMG]

8. hens4thehudds

Jul 7, 2011
    San Marcos, California
    Here are some updated pictures of my olive egger barred rocks, They are supposed to look like barred rocks and lay an olive green egg. ...here are pictures at 4 weeks.
    This is sparky I am pretty sure he is a roo..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is Gresio...50-50 roo /pullet
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by