1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 week old chick acting funny

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tlent, Mar 15, 2012.

1. tlent

tlent New Egg

Feb 20, 2012
    I have about 15 phoenix chicks that are 3 weeks old. Yesterday before cleaning their pen, I transferred them to a "holding" area to make it easier to get the pen good and clean. I checked each chick over while moving them and they all seemed fine. I did however notice that one of the chicks was quite a bit smaller than the others, but it looked and acted healthy. After cleaning the pen I placed the chicks back in. I am still using pine wood chips for bedding and the chicks usually run, roll around and play in it when they are first placed back in. While I was watching them, I noticed the small chick was on its back and flapping its wings, at first I thought it had just gotten off balance, but when I reached in and set it right, it had almost no control over its head, which "flopped" back, and its body kinda fell over backwards. I have checked it over completely for outward signs of injury and nothing. I have brought it in the house in a separate pen, and have kept a close eye on it. It seems to get better, moving around etc. Then BAM! The lack of head and body control starts again. It seems to fall more to the left when it is having the "spell". I have also noticed that it seems to sit against the wall of the pen mostly, in a very tight crouched position (head in, feet tucked) also, the feathers immediately behind its neck on it's back stay ruffled all the time. Any ideas about what might be going on? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

I hope the chick has gotten better.

3. tlent

tlent New Egg

Feb 20, 2012
    Unfortunately, it passed during the night. I am thinking that it was possibly hurt by the other chicks, who knows. All of the others are fine and healthy.

4. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

[​IMG]

I'm sorry to hear that

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by