3 week old chick acting like a Roo?

Schmay

Chirping
Dec 9, 2018
Adelaide, Australia
I have 5 baby silkies chicks 3 weeks old. I was able to put 2 of them with one of my hens and the other 3 I have had to hand raise. Of the 3 I believe 2 of them may be Roos and one a hen based on how they are acting. The 2 Roos are flapping their wings, hiking their necks up and flapping at each other constantly and I fear they're going to hurt themselves or the little hen it's them. It's as if they're already fighting over who is the boss. Obviously cause they're so young I can't know for sure what sex they are, but I'm worried they're already fighting over the girl at only 3 weeks old. Is this even possible? And should I be separating them. Does anyone have any suggestions? TIA

I once had a 3 week old rooster that would mock mate it's siblings. The chest bumping is just establishing dominance as stated. Both sexes do it. In my experiences some young roosters are very forward, coming at your hands when you reach in the brooder. I always get that early feeling based on those forward behaviors and I have almost always been right, but not always.

Back
Top Bottom