3 week old chick attacked by cat

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BurnsChicks, Apr 9, 2017.

1. BurnsChicks

BurnsChicks New Egg

Apr 9, 2017
    We had our baby chicks outside (it was a beautiful, warm day) starting to introduce them to the backyard. They were in a large dog kennel wrapped in chicken wire. There was a small section of the kennel that didn't get wrapped, and in a 5 minute period when I turned my back, an alley cat got one of my chicks. Her wing is broken and the bone is protruding. She has a couple of other spots where her skin was ripped off, but only the wing really seems serious. I cleaned her wounds with water, applied neosporin, and wrapped her wing. I also gave her some baby aspirin in her water. She's separated from the other chicks and is being kept warm with a red light heat lamp. Is there anything else I can do? Anything I should watch for? I'm absolutely heartbroken that this happened!!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. You seemed to have handled everything well so far. An exposed bone is pretty risky for an infection. You may want to consult a vet about the broken wing. Betadine or Vetericyn would be good to apply, but the neosporin is good. Chicks are also pretty easily injured internally. I would make sure that it is drinking well, and vitamins with electrolytes for a few days added to the water are good. If it is not eating well, you can offer some egg yolk, and mix in 1/2 tsp of plain yogurt, or some watery chick crumbles. I hope you can save her.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by