3-week old chick attacked by hen, need cure ideas...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PekinBantam, Mar 9, 2012.

1. About an hour ago this little guy got attacked, his tissue is showing and he won't try to walk or stand up. He won't open his eyes either. He and his mother are in an isolated cage together and I put betadine on him (The redness around the wound is betadine NOT blood) . But I'm starting to wonder if I should have left the mother alone, I only put her with him because I was afraid that she might abandon him. Any other ideas for medicines? I'll post pictures later because the power's out and my laptop's almost out of battery. All that I can tell you for now is that it's a round 5mm exposiour of tissue on his back and he's not eating.

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Sounds like you've done all you can for now. Triple antibiotic cream is good for injuries and it isn't as harsh as betadine but you didn't do anything wrong by using it. Many use neosporin but you have to really be careful that you're not getting the one with pain killer in it. Is he the only chick the mom has?

3. Yes, he was her first and only from the brood. But I'm sad to say that he didn't make it through the night. Watching his last 30 minutes was sad... He had trouble breathing and jerked his head up every 7 seconds (on average) to breath. Eventually his little head just drooped down and didn't come back up. Really painful to watch and feel bad knowing that he was the mother's only chick, she tried so hard to protect it, fighting even the dominant roo in my flock when he got too close.

4. Yes, he was her first and only from the brood. But I'm sad to say that he didn't make it through the night. Watching his last 30 minutes was sad... He had trouble breathing and jerked his head up every 7 seconds (on average) to breath. Eventually his little head just drooped down and didn't come back up. Really painful to watch and feel bad knowing that he was the mother's only chick, she tried so hard to protect it, fighting even the dominant roo in my flock when he got too close.

5. Yes, he was her first and only from the brood. But I'm sad to say that he didn't make it through the night. Watching his last 30 minutes was sad... He had trouble breathing and jerked his head up every 7 seconds (on average) to breath. Eventually his little head just drooped down and didn't come back up. Really painful to watch and feel bad knowing that he was the mother's only chick, she tried so hard to protect it, fighting even the dominant roo in my flock when he got too close.

6. Sorry for the multiple posts, problem with the server or some such nonsense...

7. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    That's ok. I'm so very sorry for your chick. It is so very painful to watch them expire and not be able to help them :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by