1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 week old chick bir by rottweiler puppy, extreemly lethargic.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PekinBantam, Feb 22, 2012.

1. So that's the problem, the chick got two puncture marks on it's head but we put Bethadine on the wounds and they healed but now he's acting very lethargic. He will often close his eyes, won't get up or walk often, and he's starting to refuse his food. I made sure he drank water but I need some advice. Please help...
    PS: The rottweiler has all her vaccines and shots.

2. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    How deep?

You may want to get some Blu-Kote to put on there and feed her/him with a syringe (non needle)> I will bump you up to see if anyone else can chime in.

3. The wound wasn't deep and is already healed but it's his behavior that's worrying me. I will try your idea when I feed him supper.

4. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Yeah, he may just be growing too, never know. I had a really calm chick and she is still really calm. Maybe she is a bit scared too. Hugs and kisses should make it better though :)

5. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    We got our dogs used to our chicks early. We held them in our hands and then let our dogs around them. Now they all play peacefully and when they were little our jack russlle herded them around the yard.

6. I'm happy to say that the chick has made a recovery. He is afraid of dogs now but some exposure therapy with our (calmer) Labrador should help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by