3 week old chick can't walk or stand

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by harleygirl6197, Jun 27, 2016.

1. harleygirl6197

harleygirl6197 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2012
    Hi all....we have a chick who is 3 weeks old today. Last Friday we noticed she was having trouble walking and standing. One leg appeared to not want to work, then both legs seemed bad. We separated her out from the rest of the chicks. After a little research on this site we thought that it could be a B2 deficiency so we gave her some B2 but she has gotten no better. Spoke to the hatchery (Meyer) we got the chicks from and they agreed it might be a vitamin deficiency. They suggested apple cider vinegar so we tried that. She does eat and we've been giving her liquids (the vitamins in water) to keep her hydrated. Still no improvement. The chicks were vaccinated for Mareks. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Describe how she stands when you stand her up, is one leg out to the side or behind her, are both legs out, or is she sitting on her hocks or elbows? Pictures may help. I agree that poultry vitamins containing riboflavin (B2) could help. There are other problems such as slipped tendon, varus valgus deformity, tibial dyschondroplasia, and other deformities.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  3. harleygirl6197

harleygirl6197 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2012
    Her legs are usually out in front of her or off to the side.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by