3 week old chick falls over, worsening balance for about 4 days

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jocoupon, Dec 21, 2010.

1. jocoupon

jocoupon New Egg

Jan 26, 2010
    1) What type of bird , age and weight. 3 week old ameracana
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. for 3-4 days, has been falling over, no longer can walk a couple of steps, is getting worse everyday
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 3-4days
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? no, all the rest are fine
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. - not that I see, this mama does seem to step on her babies quite a bit. The others are not bothered
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. - eats fine when put in front of food, not driniking much...hard to do
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. - can't tell, no pasty butt
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? - tried isolating it and putting it in a brooder, the chick was too disturbed without mama
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? - treat myself only
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use - off the ground rabbit hutch, bedding is shavings

2. jocoupon

jocoupon New Egg

Jan 26, 2010
    I just put the chick on a heating pad again and proped a box next to it so it could stand. It usually falls to the left. I gave it food and water and it is scarfing the food up. Only 2 sips of water. Any ideas? If you suggest a vitamin or something, tell me what kind and where to get it.

Thanks!

3. heather112588

heather112588 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    was your chick sneezing or weezing? I had a chick show the same symptoms just add sneezing into that. If so try the vetRX medicine.

4. jocoupon

jocoupon New Egg

Jan 26, 2010
    what is vetRX medicine?

5. heather112588

Nov 12, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    It's is sold at the feed stores...it is medicine that takes care of respiratory and other bactorial infections...it is mixed into their water. My girl died before i found out about it but it cleared my other 4 guys right up.

6. heather112588

Nov 12, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
  7. heather112588

Nov 12, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    sry dont know the code for posting pics

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by