3 week old chick has leg injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Nibster, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Nibster

Nibster New Egg

Jun 28, 2011
    Hi
    I am new to the forum. I have visited before for a scout around, but this is my first post, it seems a wealth of information! Hoping someone can advise how to help my chick. It's leg is sticking out at an angle, to the side, from the hock. The hock looks a bit red and swollen. Chick is obviously uncomfortable. Hatched myself, one of five. Been OK up to now. Any ideas? If splinting advised, how do I splint it? Seem some posts about achilles tendon being out, but cannot see tendon, so not sure. Trying to juggle baby and 2 other littlies too!
    Hoping to save it!
    Nibster

2. Nibster

Nibster New Egg

Jun 28, 2011
    Just to add just picked it up to investigate further. Lower leg seems rotated a bit and I can feel a little click over the back of the hock if I try to gently straighten it. Does it sound like the tendon's out? Poor little chick, my knees used to dislocate and this is making me feel really dizzy!

3. Nibster

Nibster New Egg

Jun 28, 2011
    Well, I can feel the tendon slip in and out. It doesn't stay in. When I try to hold it in place, or tape it and keep leg straight the leg seems to go red. Have tried the duct tape advice I found in earlier posts and hobbled too. Not sure if enough duct tape on though, as hasn't stayed in position. I'll try again. Any other ideas/ tips? It's got to hurt!

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  5. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I have one splinted with a band-aid right now. I've never tried duct tape, but I imagine it works the same. I wrapped the tape part around each leg and left them the width of the pad apart. My little guy is up and hopping.

Try a full size bandaid and see if that will stay on. I was told to leave it on until the bandaid was ready to just fall off. When I have done the band-aid trick before it has helped. By the time it is ready to come off the leg seems to have healed itself in the proper position.

Good luck! I know it is frustrating when they are hurt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by