3 week old chick is attacking me!!! pics added

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickencity, Apr 5, 2008.

1. chickencity

chickencity Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    I have one little chick that is just plain mean! she is a 3 week old golden sexlink. every time i put my hand in the brooder she runs up and pecks me and then comes at me with her feet. when i pick her up she usually stops. how do i stop her from this b-4 she gets big and starts to hurt me?

here are some pics of him or her
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Are you sure its a girl? I have one that does that to me and I have been assuming its a boy because of it.

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Are you sure she is not a he? That is usually an aggressive behavior associated with males.

Everytime the chick does it, pick it up and hold it for a while.

4. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:hold her everyday. ALOT. get her to start trusting you. Also let her know whose boss. Pet er. etc. or she may just be one of those chickens that will fight and attack you until you pick them up (usually only occurs in roosters?) i would try to handle him/her as much as possible. maybe even feed her/him treats from your hands.

5. chickencity

Mar 21, 2008
    im pretty sure that its a she (hopefully) its looks just like the other pullets i have one sexlink that is diffrent and im assuming that, that one would be the roo. if i pick it up every time it comes after me would it eventually start doing it b/c it wants to be picked up or stop doing b/c it doesn't want to picked up?

6. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I have a little wheaten roo, (I can tell it is a he by the feathers) that ran up to me everytime I put my hand in the brooder.

The other chickies were scared and he is just being protective. Once he figured out that I was not a threat he stopped.

7. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:can you post a picture?

8. chickencity

Mar 21, 2008
    i added pics in the 1st post.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by