1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 week old chick limping, swollen leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by docbeans, Feb 22, 2013.

1. docbeans

docbeans New Egg

Feb 22, 2013
    Hi all,

I have my first batch of chicks in the brooder, so very new to this! They are 3.5 weeks old and just about ready to go outside into the coop (with a heat lamp, since nights here are cold). Tonight as I was checking on the chickens, I noticed that one of the smaller ones is limping. I first noticed it while he was laying down and had one leg sprawled funny behind him and another chicken was sort of trampling him. Then he struggled to get up and he was limping pretty badly.

I picked him up and took a look and he seems like is swollen at that first joint (the knee? :) ) and when he extends it, it splays at a funny angle. He can move the joint ok. He seems to be in pain because he struggles like crazy when I touch it.

I have no idea how this happened, except maybe he got bonked with a waterer? Lately they've been trying to roost on top of the waterers and sometimes knock them over. He's the least feathered and one of the smallest, so I think I might keep him in. Do I need to splint it? He's not being pecked, do I have to separate him? I am not really sure where I'd put him right now...

It's worth saying here that since I think he is a cockerel, he is likely destined for the soup pot, so I don't consider him a pet. But I don't want to cull him if he will be ok.

Thoughts? Advice?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by