3 week old chick look shabby

abbynormal323

Hatching
Mar 26, 2017
I have a dozen chicks. Currently in the house in a black storage tote with wood shaving water good feed and a heat lamp. They all have been doing great but now look bad because they have been perching on the feed and water and pooping on each other. Should i clean them? If so how?

Howdy from Kansas and :welcome! Pleased you joined our flock. How big is the tote and how big are the chicks! If they are too crowded what you are describing is often the result. Might be time to up the size of their accommodations. Here's a link to a thread that discusses raising baby chicks: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-and-raising-chicks
And you can chat with some local poultry folks in your state thread in this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread
Good luck to you and thanks for joining BYC! :)

welcome-byc.gif

redsoxs makes a good point...their brooder may be too small for them. The guidelines I've read say to give each chick 1/2 to 1 sq. feet in the brooder.

Best of luck to you!

Also they will be trying out their flying skills, so need a wire top on the brooder. It will keep them from falling or flying out and getting lost /chilled. It will also offer some protection from house pets and other disasters waiting to happen.

G’Day from down under abbynormal323
frow.gif
Welcome!

As you have already received some good advice and links to some great starting points, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom