3 week old chick looks like he has trouble breating? Please help!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TeresaT, Apr 9, 2009.

1. TeresaT

TeresaT Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2008
    SW Virginia
    I have a 3 week old D'Uccle who keeps raising his head like he cant get air. He cheeps a little when I pick him up. But he does this continuously like he is having trouble breathing. He is having trouble walking now too like he has little energy. He stops for a couple of seconds and then does it again. Continuously now. I have separated him from the other chicks in his brooder and gave him antibiotic water and food, but he just sits there leaning on his side and raises his head and opens his mouth. He raises it up real high, almost all the way back when he does it. I haven't seen any poop yet, since I just put him in there about 2 hours ago. He started doing it a little a couple of days ago, now he does it constantly. What could it be? What can I do? Please help. THanks.

2. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    You have already done the right thing by isolating him.

Sometimes chicks have genetic defects that don't appear for a while, and sometimes they just fail to thrive. Have you checked to make sure nothing is lodged in his throat?

You can put 50% Pedialyte in the water so he stays hyrdrated.

Good luck.

3. teddiliza

teddiliza Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a similar problem with one of my chicks I bought Saturday. I hope yours does okay. I had 2 other chicks die of a similar type of symptoms.

4. TeresaT

TeresaT Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2008
    SW Virginia
    Hi All, Thanks for the replies. I don't see anything in his throat as best as I can see. He still does it though. Can I mix pedialyte in with the antibiotics? Or would I have to give that separately? He has pooped a few times over the night and it appears normal. But he feels thin when I pick the little guy up and he still keeps doing that, he raises his head way up over and over, even more when I pick him up. And he seems like he can not keep his balance well. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by