3 week old chick "milky" liquid coming out of vent

bellaisa

Songster
6 Years
Apr 29, 2017
Illinois
I have 6, 3 week old chicks. All 6 act fine eat, drink and run around. My RIR has a discharge coming out of her vent.
The chicks are in a 3 by 6 brooder with a heating plate. They are eating medicated grower feed. They have been give the yolk from hard boiled eggs; and this week I started to offer chick grit other than that they have had no treats.
Originally I had 2 chicks with pasty but including the RIR. The other chick is fine but the RIR has had a discharge for a week. I have attempted to put olive oil on it. All that seemed to happen with that was it caused her to peck at her vent. I soaked her in epson salt last night. Her poop looks normal so not sure what is causing the discharge.
Any ideas what may be causing this and what I can do to help her?

here is a picture of the discharge.
rir .jpg

Still active, eating and drinking. I added apple cider vinegar to one water dish and probiatics to the other. Also gave yogurt and sprayed her vent with blu kote. Hoping for the best she is not acting sick. I hope the other babies don't start having issues. :fl:fl:fl

Ensure the heat source is the correct temp for their age. Sometimes these sorts of things resolve themselves as the chick ages and their little systems regulate themselves and they get used to their diet. Reduce any stresses that could be bothering the chicks (other pets, loud noises, the frequent bathing). Just try your best to make a suitable environment and meet their most important needs and you should see an improvement in the next few days.

You can also add electrolytes to their water. As long as the chick is eating drinking and pooping normally I wouldn’t be too concerned.

Ensure the heat source is the correct temp for their age. Sometimes these sorts of things resolve themselves as the chick ages and their little systems regulate themselves and they get used to their diet. Reduce any stresses that could be bothering the chicks (other pets, loud noises, the frequent bathing). Just try your best to make a suitable environment and meet their most important needs and you should see an improvement in the next few days.

You can also add electrolytes to their water. As long as the chick is eating drinking and pooping normally I wouldn’t be too concerned.
I have now added electrolytes and probiatics. Hope she pulls thru she is the only RIR we got this year and that was the breed my DD wanted.

Back
Top Bottom