1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 week old chick missing hair under tail

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blazer, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Blazer

Blazer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    Hi Everyone,

I received my 5, 3 week old Buff Orpingtons last night. All of the birds are behaving just fine, however I noticed that one of them is pretty much hairless underneath its tail feathers. The spot is about 1" in diameter. All of the other chicks have the typical blonde fuzz around the vent. Is this something I should be concerned with? The lady told me that 1 of the chicks is 4 weeks old, so I'm not sure if this is something that happens normally as they grow their "big girl" feathers. Please let me know your thoughts!

Thanks!

2. birdstheword

birdstheword Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    Hi,

Our Silkie has the same thing at 3 weeks ish. Looks ugly, but I think it's normal???.

3. lady feathers

lady feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2010
    Don't worry about it some of it can be normal I'm sure, some of it is from light picking (if no blood is being drawn don't worry it will grow in, and/or it may also be from when the chick was treated for pasty butt.... I trimmed some fuzz from some of my babies that were pasting up horribly after they had been shipped and I have noticed that once their feathers started to come in they were bald for a little while back there but everything is growing in fine and no one messes with them at all!

4. Blazer

Blazer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    Thanks for the advice. There is no sign of blood or pecking. Ill keep an eye on her and let you all know if it takes a turn for the worse.

5. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

HAIR?!? Chickens are supposed to have HAIR? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by