3 Week Old Chick, not eating or drinking

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Diritus, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Diritus

Diritus New Egg

Jun 27, 2011
    I have a 3 week old black sex link chick. He was the only boy of the bunch I got from the local Co op and he started out very healthy and aggressive. He was very spunky and food oriented, but lately we've noticed that the other chicks are MUCH more developed than he is, even the smallest of the others is sporting tail feathers and a fuller set of wings than this boy. And recently I noticed that he has lost interest in food and doesn't want to eat or drink. He's beginning to become lethargic. I've started giving him sugar water with a dropper tonight, and he's still got enough fight in him to resist pretty good. He also peeps and flaps around just fine when I handle him. He just isn't himself and is acting rather sick, my biggest concern though is the huge size difference between him and the others. What could this be? And what can I do for him?

2. Diritus

Diritus New Egg

Jun 27, 2011
    Update: started him on electrolytes and got some medicated chick starter. Also fed him sugar water. Last night i gave him a mix of water, his food, and an egg yolk. He loved that, and was drinking it pretty well. I separated him out with the most passive of the other chicks, and he seems to be better than last night.

3. SequoyahFarms

SequoyahFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2013
    Knoxville Tn
    Cockerels are much slower to feather out than pullets, so that part is normal. Not eating is not normal...electrolytes will really help him. You might want to add probiotics too.

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I'd get some Corid and treat for cocci. You mentioned getting medicated starter so I presume you were feeding unmedicated before. The Amprolium amount in the feed is too little to be an effective treatment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by