3 week old chick not feathering out!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Triplecross, May 30, 2016.

1. Triplecross

Triplecross Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Southern Michigan
    I have 4 hatched out Cochin chicks. Some carry the frizzle gene and I'm concerned about one chick in particular. She has barely any feathers growing in. The white chick had lots of feathering within days. There is an all black one (hard to see in pics) that is second in great feathering. And a blue chick is starting to feather out but this last chick has only a few on wing tips.

What is wrong with her?[​IMG]

2. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Nothing is wrong. You're white chick is probably feathering out fast and your little black chick is a slow feathering chicken. Its normal. Don't worry. I would be happy! I hate when they feather out too fast and they don't look like little babies anymore. [​IMG]

3. Triplecross

Jan 6, 2013
    Southern Michigan
    [​IMG]

4. Triplecross

Jan 6, 2013
    Southern Michigan
    I knew different breeds have different growth rates but I thought chicks of the same breed would grow similarly.

Thank you for your reply [​IMG]

5. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Temperature of the brooder also plays a big part in feather growth.
    I always keep it a bit cooler than said here on this site. I have two week old chicks out in my coop with a temp of 20 degrees or lower at times! They are all doing great!
    I prefer to harden up my chicks quick so I dont need heat for so long!

6. Triplecross

Jan 6, 2013
    Southern Michigan

What week do your chicks have good feathering?

My brooder is temp gauge monitored and I go by 95 degrees the first week and then go down 5 degrees each week.

7. chickens really

Hmmmmmm!
    I never go by the temp. told by any site or hatchery!
    My chicks tell me if the temperature is right!
    Chicks at 5 to 6 weeks should and can be off heat!
    start raising the heat source and they will be fine!
    Too much silly talk on this site!
    They are CHICKENS!!!

8. chickens really

My Chicks are two weeks old. live outside in the coop.
    They have a heat lamp but its raised to keep only under the lamp about 20 degrees. temp gets cold at night to 3 degrees. My CHICKS ARE FINE AND ARE GROWING FEATHERS!.
    Dont worry about chicks!

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've hatched out a good amount of chicks over the years. Some are just slower to develop, and that includes feathering out.

It could also be a little cockerel. It's not 100%, but males overall tend to feather slower than females.

I agree your chicks need access to a cooler area. The entire brooder isn't supposed to be 95 degrees, just a warm area. Think of the warm spot like a momma hen. She doesn't make the whole world warm for her babies, just the area underneath her. Baby chicks raised by a momma spend a lot of time out from under her, even as very littles. Keeping chicks too warm can cause them to feather out slower cause they don't need the warmth. My early spring or fall broody raised chicks feather out far faster than my summer or brooder babies.

Other than that, I don't think there's anything else you can do. I'm thinking in a few months, you won't notice any difference between them.

10. Triplecross

Jan 6, 2013
    Southern Michigan
    Frazzle! I think I figured out what's wrong. The frizzle chicks with little feathering have double genes of it and are frazzled!

BTW: my brooder is only heated by a heating pad that the chicks can go under ( or on top) The rest of the brooder isn't heated. *Lots of strong opinions about chicks and temps though, wow!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by