1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 week old chick small amount of diarrhea.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by OutofthePen, Dec 9, 2013.

1. OutofthePen

OutofthePen New Egg

Nov 26, 2013
    I have noticed that one of my chicks has had a small amount of runny poo, no blood . I went to my local feed store and they said to add a packet of probiotics to their water and that should help and its nothing to worry about. Just want to make sure this is normal they are eating and drinking fine any thoughts ????

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Do you have your chicks on a medicated chick starter? If not, you should get some Corid and treat for coccidia.

3. OutofthePen

OutofthePen New Egg

Nov 26, 2013
    I did not have them on medicated but the same day I got the probiotics I bought a bag of medicated just incase but I have kept them on unmedicated for now wanting to see if the probiotics would help. Is there another name for corid ? I did look when I went to the feed store but I didnt see anything that specifically said Corid...

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
  5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Corid (amprolium) can be found in the cattle section at the feed store. Keep in mind that a small amount of diarrhea is normal, it's called cecal poop.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by