3 week old chick that will no long stand

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jdjohnson, Feb 16, 2012.

1. jdjohnson

jdjohnson New Egg

Feb 16, 2012
    Christiana, TN
    My husband and I bought 2 Bard Rock chicks last week and they are now 3 weeks old. They seemed to be doing fine in the box under the heat lamp, but one is growing and progressing and the other is the same size as when we got her. Yesterday she stopped standing and seems really fatigued. I went today and got a separate box to put her in. I also got medicated chick feed and vitamin/electrolyte supplement. Any other suggestions on how to make her better?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  2. DraigAthar

DraigAthar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield, NH
    Is she eating? That is, have you actually witnessed her eat?

3. jdjohnson

jdjohnson New Egg

Feb 16, 2012
    Christiana, TN
    She has been eating and drinking today. I changed out her food to the MannaPro Medicated chick food and changed her water to Life-Lytes Vitamin and Electrolyte Supplement. I sure hope that works.

4. jdjohnson

jdjohnson New Egg

Feb 16, 2012
    Christiana, TN
    I got up this morning and my little chick was walking!![​IMG] She has not walked since Wednesday afternoon, but I really think that it was due to the other chick bullying her and she just got really weak. My husband thought it was an early case of Merck's disease, but he did call the hatchery were we got them and they said in the last 20 years they have not had any cases of Merck's. If you are looking to but chickens Poultry Hollow in TN is awesome. They have been so incredibly helpful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by