3 week old Chick the size of a 4 day old...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GoodLuckCharlie!, May 11, 2011.

1. GoodLuckCharlie!

GoodLuckCharlie! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Hi, my neighbor has 2 RIR's and 6 Americaunas that are about 3 weeks old. All of the chicks are the same size and growing well-except one of the Americaunas. It looks like the size of a 4 day old...it isn't sickly looking, eating and drinking well, and even pecks at the other chicks-dominates the food by standing on top of the feeder and pushing the bigs ones away, funny. But we're wondering, why isn't it growing? They all seem healthy and completely fine. All the Americaunas were bought at the same time, same place as mine, and all were supposed to be Amer...so the only thing I could think of is maybe its a bantam that got mixed in or a mixed breed? What do you think?[​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It could also be a runt or a dwarf, or have what they call failure to thrive. Sometimes they catch up and do fine, sometimes not so good. Not much you can do, as long as the others aren't running it off from the food.

3. GoodLuckCharlie!

GoodLuckCharlie! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Thanks, We'll be enjoying what we have and wait and see what happens for the little one. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by