3 week old chick trying to mate with mom

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jess9375, Mar 13, 2016.

1. jess9375

jess9375 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2015
    Michigan
    I have 3 chicks that hatched on Feb 15th - Presidents Day- we were hoping for hens but I think Abraham is a Roo because he was on top of his mom, grabbing her neck, and doing the jig...ugh! (She's a naked neck so I could see he had ahold of her good) Does this confirm he is a boy? Didn't think they had this behavior at 3 weeks! Gee

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Flockless Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I would very much doubt that this behaviour is an indication of gender. My chicks love to jump all over their momma - trying to peck her eyes, hang onto feathers etc. - kinda normal in my experience.

CT

3. jess9375

May 18, 2015
    Michigan

I would very much doubt that this behaviour is an indication of gender. My chicks love to jump all over their momma - trying to peck her eyes, hang onto feathers etc. - kinda normal in my experience.

CT

Yes they do that too, but this is not that. I'm hoping it's nothing like you say. Thank you for the input :)

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Flockless Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Well thats a new one on me - if they are like that now - just wait until their hormones really kick in! [​IMG]

5. jess9375

May 18, 2015
    Michigan
    Your telling me! I've never seen or heard of it either. Ugh!

6. Pansy Hollow

Pansy Hollow Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2016
    So did it turn out to be male or female? I have a 4 week old chick that is doing the same thing! I though she was a girl because of her feathering, but now I am not so sure!

7. jess9375

May 18, 2015
    Michigan
    Yes! It was a boy! :(

8. Eckielady

Eckielady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2017
    East Tennessee
    Well we've just witnessed this for the first time this morning. Ive been googling and can find nothing on it except for this post and one other. I knew it was very unusual since I'd never seen it before but I guess it must be very rare. I assume this little guy is going to grow up and be a hormonal jerk. Guess we'll see. OP, did yours stay around long enough to see what kind of rooster he ended up being?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by