3 week old chick was fine, now it can't walk. Need help

Mr Spur

Hatching
Apr 15, 2017
So, one of our 3 week old Reds had been fine all along,. Whent out to check on em, and she wouldn't get up and walk. We have her isolated inside....She will eat and drink just fine if you hold her up. We have her on save-a-chick for added vitamins. Been hand feeding her for a week now. She seems to be getting stronger and can stand for a few seconds on her own...She uses her wings to help support her up and scuffle around the box, then just lays there , sometimes half rolled over. I don't think it's splayed leg,. Maybe a tendon issue?...It is deffinatly in her legs. Her feet seem to cross each other when she stands. Almost pigeon toed. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Just want to know if this is fixable or not
Spur

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. Has she ever walked on her hocks or elbows, or had toes that curled under? Riboflavin deficiency is common in chicks. She could have a leg bone deformity, including tibial dyschondroplasia (TD,) osteochondrosis, or others. Those tend to worsen with growth. I would keep up with the vitamins, or switch to Poultry Cell 1-2 ml daily, or PolyVisol without iron baby vitamins2-3 drops daily. You might want to consider placing her in a chick chair or sling several times a day, to get her upright, keep her cleaner, and sit her in front of food and water. I would take the time to see if she can get better with the TLC you are giving.

After she stopped walking, she did have her toes curled for a while....But I don't notice it anymore since we started her on vitamins. We keep her moving around and standing as much as we can. Gonna give it a few more days and see if she improves......I might be fighting a loosing battle.
Thanks for the reply.

Back
Top Bottom