3 week old chick with curved toe

SweetBerryCluck

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 5, 2014
Littleton Colorado
Good morning! I have a three week old chick with her middle toe curved.
She eats, drinks, poops and hangs out with the rest of the chicks.
Is there anything I can do to fix that little toe so that it goes straight like the other ones?
Thank you so much!

Can you post a picture? Does it look broken? Is it affecting walking or standing? Hard to say without seeing it but a chick shoe might be needed. Many ways to make them with simple supplies, to hold the toe in a normal position. Picture of one below. You need to check often and change as needed, chicks grow fast and you don't want anything too tight so that it cuts of circulation. If the toe is just crooked and not broken then it may or may not fix, but I would try, particularly if the chick is having trouble or stepping on the toe. Giving 1/4 of a b complex vitamin once a day might be helpful also. This link has more on making a chick shoe, scroll down to riboflavin for curled toes and just below that is the part on chick shoes: https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-
podiatry
Many birds have crooked toes and do fine.
shoesplint.jpg

Can you post a picture? Does it look broken? Is it affecting walking or standing? Hard to say without seeing it but a chick shoe might be needed. Many ways to make them with simple supplies, to hold the toe in a normal position. Picture of one below. You need to check often and change as needed, chicks grow fast and you don't want anything too tight so that it cuts of circulation. If the toe is just crooked and not broken then it may or may not fix, but I would try, particularly if the chick is having trouble or stepping on the toe. Giving 1/4 of a b complex vitamin once a day might be helpful also. This link has more on making a chick shoe, scroll down to riboflavin for curled toes and just below that is the part on chick shoes: https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-
podiatry
Many birds have crooked toes and do fine.
View attachment 3086147
49BD0B2A-615B-4CCC-896C-936E1D4DCE0C.jpeg

If it can be put in a normal position, you can try the shoe to see if it will correct. I see no swelling so it may not be a break, or it may have been there too long and is just going to be that way. As long as she gets around OK it probably won't be an issue. Toes get hurt all sorts of ways and lots of chickens live full, normal lives with wonky toes.

[IMG alt="IdahoChickenRancher"]https://www.backyardchickens.com/data/avatars/m/623/623894.jpg?1635180077[/IMG]

IdahoChickenRancher

In the Brooder​

Aug 4, 2021296949Salmon, Idaho
I have noticed several posts about similar concerns. I have an ameraucana whose toes were straight, up until about week #6. One day i noticed she had a toe which was severely bent and “arthritic“ looking. Too late to intervene, she is now going on 2yrs old, and it hasn't hampered her one bit. (The take-away: If your bird develops curved toes, it’s not necessarily a major issue.) If you plan to breed birds for show, that would be a reason to choose alternate breeding stock. Otherwise, do what you can to improve functionality. If they can walk fine, and roost, maybe let nature run its course..?

Back
Top Bottom