3 Week Old Chick with Watery Poop & Orange / Red ..... Pictures ....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aaggjg, Feb 28, 2012.

1. aaggjg

aaggjg Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2011
    I was watching my chicks last night and one of them pooped a very watery poop with some orange / red in it ... I snapped a photo for all of the experts out there... and another one of a poop that was in the brooder this morning ....
    They seem to be acting fine eating, drinking, jumping, playing etc..... Should I be concerned???

They are 3 1/2 weeks old have been eating medicated chick starter and are now on paper as the shavings I had proved to be too dusty for them and were making them sneeze..... I have been putting apple cider vinegar in their water and have given them yoghurt and garlic a few times.....

Photo 1 Immediately after pooping..... last night ....[​IMG]

Photo 2 - Found this morning... dried a bit but you can see the ring from the dried water ......[​IMG]

Thanks for your help!!!!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Occasionally you will see shed intestinal lining in chicken poos which can be red or orange and usually looks mushy.

Here is the poo page:
    4. Poo - The Chicken Keeper's Guide - The Poultry Pages - Allotment and Vegetable Gardening

What I have seen with coccidiosis is liquid blood. Now, you must also be on the lookout for other signs of coccidiosis like lethargy, won't eat or drink, feathers fluffed up, etc. as some strains of cocci don't cause bloody poos.

IF you are seeing symptoms of coccidiosis, I would start treatment regardless of the poo, as they are in the prime age group for it (under 8 weeks).

I have to say though that the WATERY part of the poo does concern me. I'd be watching that carefully and also to watch for liquid blood.
    "Signs of an outbreak include birds that are pale, droopy, tend to huddle, consume less feed and water, have diarrhea, and may become emaciated and dehydrated."

from
    http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/disproto.htm

Jump right on it if you suspect coccidiosis. I personally would wait a bit to see, but that's me.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I edited my above post.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by