3 week old chick won't feather?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by in town chicken farmer, Apr 11, 2009.

1. in town chicken farmer

in town chicken farmer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2008
    Grand junction Colorado
    i bought some chicks from murdoch's out of the ass. bantim bin and one of them only has 2 toes and two feathers on each wing. they are not very good looking feathers. all of the others are growing as to be exspected. what is up w/his developement is he always going to be small w/no feathers? i mean its been 3 weeks whats up???

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Sounds like you have a chick with genetic defects. Some here would say, cull. Others would say, look at quality of life, whether it appears to be suffering. It would likely require separation from the flock to prosper, if it can, since chickens will attack a defective flock mate. Your choice.

3. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    I want photos! >.> there was this thing I heard about featherless chickens in the past on the tv. People put sweaters on them lol.

4. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    i will take them

5. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    [​IMG] welcome to BYC [​IMG] that is horrible! with 2 toes??? [​IMG]

6. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Quote:Who ever said they were giving it away? [​IMG]

So it is like you have a big fluffy chick?

7. Chickenfortress

Chickenfortress Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    That fluff spreads pretty thin when the flesh grows under it. Maybe do a combover with those 4 feathers? Some of that spray on hair for vain old men?

8. in town chicken farmer

Aug 25, 2008
    Grand junction Colorado
    He does not have a poor quality of life he seems to be very happy and healthy. no one picks on him.he is quite the crazy chick when i change the shavings he likes to role and dust himself all the other chicks look at him like hes crazy. he is very smart he sees an ant and eats it the others are like what is that hes like lets eat it! he is a survivor. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  9. in town chicken farmer

Aug 25, 2008
    Grand junction Colorado
    [​IMG] i hope this worked

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  10. melody123

melody123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Oregon
    Google chickens with no feathers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2000003.stm

Apparentely there are chickens with no feathers. They were bred for hot climates where they didn't want ot waste nutrients growing feathers.

If your little guy/gal dosen't grow any feathers, then you will have to protect him from the cold. You will also have a great conversation chicken.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by