3-week old chicks and 7-month old hens -- when/how to introduce??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by clemston, Apr 11, 2011.

1. clemston

clemston Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Hi Everyone-

I got my first chicks (2 RIR, 2 BuffOrps, 2 barred rockes) last fall on a bit of a whim and they now 7-month old hens that I am in LOVE with! [​IMG]

A few weeks ago I got 3 Easter Egger chicks. I've just moved them from indoors to a dog kennel on my lanai (it's 85-90 during the day here in South FL) and I'm starting to get really nervous about when/how to introduce them to my adult flock. I've got a nice s-zed coop attached to a run and I also let them free-range (supervised) every few days.

I've read LOTS of suggestions, but nothing dealing directly with introducing growing chicks to adult-sized hens.

Suggestions?? Advice?!

2. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    You can do a search and find several post about this, I've seen it so many times I can't even count! Maybe that would give you some different ideas. But, I would NOT introduce until your chicks are fully grown and can protect themselves, or it will end very badly for your little ones. I like to put them in seperate pens and let them get use to seeing each other through fencing and then when they are grown I will gradually let them mingle as they are free ranging. It will take time for your older ones to except the new chicks and you don't want to just throw them in there and expect it to work, they will be at the bottom of the pecking order. I saw something on here the other day, I really liked...they made a portable pen with pvc and it was light wieght and they could move it around the yard very easily and then the chicks could see and mingle with the older hens and still be safe. Good luck, introducing new ones is never easy!

3. clemston

clemston Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Awesome-- thanks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by