1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

3 Week Old Chicks and New Borns

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rwcmick, Aug 10, 2007.

1. rwcmick

rwcmick In the Brooder

Jul 25, 2007
    I had the good fortune of receiving 3 chicks that were a week old yesterday. The chicks, 1 barred rock, 1 light light brahma and 1 golden laced wyandotte, will be 3 weeks old when the other kids hatch.

I am presuming that I should setup another brooder for the new ones so that their older sisters don't peck at them?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I've put together birds that were 3 weeks apart, I just made sure the youngest ones had their feet first. They aren't mean at that age, just highly curious.

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Feb 28, 2007
    South Eastern Indiana
    I agree with silkie...after the new hatched are about a day or 2 old....take one of the 3 week old, and put them in with them for a day or 2....then let the other in. Should be fine.

4. rwcmick

rwcmick In the Brooder

Jul 25, 2007
    thanks for the replies. since i have only one incubator and one brooder should i leave the hatchlings in the incubator w/ the unhatched eggs or should i move 'em immediately to the brooder? i was thinking i'd leave them in the brooder for an hour or two and them transfer the brooder. hopefully ChiChi, Gigi and Henrietta won't be too curious [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: