3 Week Old Chicks - Crooked Combs

SnowflakeMama

Songster
11 Years
Jan 21, 2013
Prince George, British Columbia
Hey all,
I'm hoping this hasn't been answered somewhere in here before, if it has I can't seem to find it. Anyhoo... I've got 14 baby chicks living in my living room right now (supposed to be outside by now but Mother Nature had other ideas this year... ) and so far I think we're doing okay.
This is our first time with chickens and the kids have been tracking growth and changes as they age so we noticed right away this week when some of the combs on a few of them started to go a little crooked. I know that a comb "falling over" can be a sign of potential health issues in older birds but I can't find any info about whether it's okay in young chicks. The combs are still firm and otherwise look normal/healthy and the birds behaviour hasn't changed at all, no signs of illness at all and they're eating and drinking really well and are quite happy to perch on us and socialize. Is it normal for their tiny little combs to go a bit crooked as they grow?

Thanks in advance.
Selena

I’ve never dealt with this but I think I have one too. I hatched mine. Did you hatch yours?

is this what you mean?

0F740FE9-1E7B-424B-BB47-D802060E8F7B.png

I didn't hatch mine, we got them from a local farm/breeder. Ours have much smaller, firm combs still, not even red yet. They're just sort of leaning over at the top now. I can try to get a pic.
I'm wondering if they just develop that way sometimes? I just thought it was weird that three of them suddenly seemed to change, but they are all the same age so maybe a developmental thing and they'll straighten out again?

Selena

I didn't hatch mine, we got them from a local farm/breeder. Ours have much smaller, firm combs still, not even red yet. They're just sort of leaning over at the top now. I can try to get a pic.
I'm wondering if they just develop that way sometimes? I just thought it was weird that three of them suddenly seemed to change, but they are all the same age so maybe a developmental thing and they'll straighten out again?

Selena

What breeds are they?

Hmm I didn’t pay much attention to my now adult hens’ combs as they were growing up but one or two of their comba are floppy. In fact I named one hen Floppy because her comb is so large it flops over but she’s completely healthy.

I got a barnyard mix so I'm not 100% but one is probably an easter egger and the other two might be buff orpington. I have a friend who got chicks from the same person, I'll check with her and see how hers develop as they grow. I'm fairly confident they're fine, I just don't want to screw up or miss something that's going to make them sick/unhealthy!

Back
Top Bottom