3 week old chicks have the sniffles..

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ShenValleyChick, Apr 12, 2011.

1. ShenValleyChick

ShenValleyChick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2011
    Harrisonburg VA
    I'm raising my first flock and have ten chicks - barred rock and EEs. They are all really active and appear healthy except I've noticed a few of them sneezing recently. When I was holding one of them today I noticed she has a runny nose too. I've heard of medicating their water... but I'm not sure with what??? I did get an electrolyte supplement from TSC, but not sure if this will suffice. Any ideas, advice, or is this just normal??

Also - I think I'm a bad mom because I've been giving them worms out of the garden while I'm weeding and I just read a thread that they need grit to digest them?? They are currently eating crumbles. Do I need to put grit in the brooder too?? [​IMG]

2. newham0614

newham0614 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    orange,va
    I've had good luck with a product called VetRX. You can get it at the co-op

3. llaaadyel

llaaadyel Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Lower NY
    You should put a sprinkle of grit on their crumbles. I can get chick grit at the feed store but sand works too.

4. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

There was probably enough dirt on the worms to act as grit. Grit is needed to help digest larger grains and vegetable matter. If they are foraging for grass and worms, they will probably eat enough dirt to digest it. When you are giving treats in the brooder, then they need sand and some chick grit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by