3 Week old Chicks, Indiana Winter?

Deepinblue

In the Brooder
Dec 3, 2018
I have three week old chicks and Indiana winter is setting in. Currently I have 23 of them in a metal bin with a heat lamp hanging in it. I just moved this from my garage due to smell into the pole barn. Could I run a cord and heat lamp out to my coop in a week or so and let them get used to being in it?
Chickens.jpg
Chicken coop.jpg

oldhenlikesdogs

Grateful
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jul 16, 2015
Wisconsin
Unfortunately that coop will be way too small for 23 birds. Are you keeping them all? You also need some windows for light and ventilation.

You could move them out with a heat lamp, although You may be stuck using one all winter which can become dangerous as young birds start to be able to fly about more as they mature.

I generally brood in warmer weather so I might not be the best for advice. Hopefully someone who has will offer some thoughts.

Deepinblue

In the Brooder
Dec 3, 2018
Unfortunately that coop will be way too small for 23 birds. Are you keeping them all? You also need some windows for light and ventilation.

You could move them out with a heat lamp, although You may be stuck using one all winter which can become dangerous as young birds start to be able to fly about more as they mature.

I generally brood in warmer weather so I might not be the best for advice. Hopefully someone who has will offer some thoughts.
48 sq ft isnt big enough? They will be free range and use the coop for roosting and nesting.

oldhenlikesdogs

Grateful
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jul 16, 2015
Wisconsin
@aart Will hopefully be by tomorrow to help with sizes, which is her specialty. Even if you use the minimum 3 square foot per bird you don't have anywhere near enough space, and I personally like that number doubled or tripled to avoid aggression.

Compost King

Free Ranging
Apr 19, 2018
Salisbury, North Carolina
if you can run electricity out to it then I would move them out to the coop as soon as possible. I would remedy the security issues we discussed in a previous thread. Chicks are even more vulnerable because the highly likely digging critters that would be nuisance will be out right predators to chicks. The coops I have electricity in I use as a brooder if they are empty when I have chicks. Since you are free ranging, and assuming you are opening the coop at the crack of dawn the 4 sq ft per chicken guideline won't be applicable but we had discussion on that in another thread I started yesterday.https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...g-the-4-sq-ft-per-chicken-rule.1282922/page-2 Some of the wiser BYC posters weighed in on exceptions to the coop space guideline. You should be fine with 23 birds in that coop if its a free range coop and you have plenty of roosting bar space. You may even decide to add a few shelters in their range if none exist naturally. Its easy to get the feel of it by observing how your chickens react to their environment.

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
Welcome to BYC @Deepinblue !

Could I run a cord and heat lamp out to my coop in a week or so and let them get used to being in it?
Yep, you could...they definitely need more brooder space. You'll need to wean them off the heat before real winter hits.

Will respond to coop design/size in your coop thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/first-coop-build.1283095/

Where in Indiana are you.. north, central, south?
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2018-12-4_6-20-26.png

Top Bottom