3 week old chicks, is it still too cold to go outside with lamps??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kar-bear, Nov 25, 2013.

1. kar-bear

kar-bear Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2013
    St. Peters, MO
    I have 16 chicks at 3 weeks old, they are still in their original brooders, which are plastic storage containers, with their own heat lamps, some are wanting to fly and perch on top of the food container in the brooder, they are wanting to fly more and more every day and needing more room, I am contemplating on either setting up a bedroom for them to keep in the house or putting them out in the coop, I have a four room coop and could block the perching area door to eliminate draft. I really love the sounds they make especially in the morning, first thing I hear when I wake up. I am personally not ready to put them outside yet, I am in Missouri and it has been around 20 at night.

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I'd set them up in a spare room. 20 degrees at night is just too cold for 3 week old chicks. Keeping them warm enough might also create a fire risk. Be safe and keep them inside for a few more weeks.

3. kar-bear

kar-bear Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2013
    St. Peters, MO
    Thank you, this bird experience has me wanting to try an actual indoor bird, I really love this.
    Never had birds before.

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Your welcome.

This was my set up for my chicks until they were 6 weeks:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Expect lots of dust and lots of cleaning.

5. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    I have an old rabbit hutch (not like theoldchick's set-up though) where I put my chicks as soon as they have the ability to walk and run without wobbling. It has a wire floor, and wire on all sides except one end that is kinda "boxed" in for privacy (except the floor). It sits about 3 feet off of the ground and it's roughly another 15 inches in total height. They have a heat lamp on one end of it, and a little 12"x12" piece of plywood under the heat lamp to help hold the heat.

And it's all outside.

Chicks are supposed to be ready to go out at 4 weeks old. But 3 weeks with a lamp should be fine. Mine spend a LOT of time on the opposite end from the lamp during the day. When they get too cold, they can run back to the lamp. And they are just fine. I just moved one batch out to the main pen that had been in that rabbit hutch. The youngest was 3 weeks old, the oldest was 7 weeks. I haven't lost any in the pen yet, and I've got another 13 that just hatched this weekend getting ready to go into the outside brooder.

The only time I have lost ANY in the outside brooder is when one of my nieces fed them and forgot to replace the plywood cover. It rained, and the chicks became soaking wet. Even with the heat lamp, the temps were down in the 40's, and I lost two of them. But as long as they have been dry and had the heat lamp on, temperatures have gone down into the 10's, and I haven't lost anyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by