3 week old Chicks moved outdoors UK

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChrissyH88, Feb 28, 2017.

1. ChrissyH88

ChrissyH88 Just Hatched

Feb 20, 2017
    Corby northants, UK
    Hello all! So I've had to move my 4, 3 week old chicks outside, its cold and its raining. Ive sectioned off their run so they're just in the coop, loads of straw, sawdust and a heatlight, I just need some reassurance that they'll be okay, theres a tarp under the coop so they're off the wet floor, ive been out about 20 times since i put them out an hour ago, they seem happy enough, wandering around and not congregating under the lamp, this is the 1st time i've kept chicks so any info and advice is more than welcomed, Thanks for reading, Chrissy x[​IMG][/IMG]

2. ChrissyH88

ChrissyH88 Just Hatched

Feb 20, 2017
    Corby northants, UK
    [​IMG]

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Generally chicks are kept inside brooder until fully feathered out (6 weeks or so) and then acclimated to the coop - unless people live in warm/hot climates. I know foxes are the big problem in UK, is the little coop secure against them?

4. ChrissyH88

ChrissyH88 Just Hatched

Feb 20, 2017
    Corby northants, UK
    I just chick proofed the utility room and they're in there now, that'll just be their house till they're ready, the coop is (now) everything proof, ot has big bolts on the doors and i've nailed a sheet of wood to the bottom, should make cleaning easier too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by