3 week old chicks outside overnight? UPDATE on orig. post

Kharmel

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 24, 2010
UPDATE: It's almost 11:00 and I just went to check on the chicks. It is currently 60 degrees outside and tonight's low is supposed to be 55. 5 of the chicks were huddled in one corner away from the heat lamp. 2 were under the heat lamp and one was panting. The other was away from the heat lamp alone and it's wings were spread out like it was too warm so I think they will be fine. I'll check on them once again before I go to bed though ;-)

I'm so tempted to let the chicks out overnight even though I've never done it this early. They are so overcrowded in the indoor cage and my house STINKS!! I bought too many chicks and even cleaning the cage daily doesn't help. I have 8 blue and splash Orpington chicks that are only half feathered. They have been outside during the day for the past 2 days since the temp has been around 80. I set them up outside with a heat lamp, getting ready for being outdoors full time and I'm finding myself wanting to hurry up the process LOL!! Is it too early, even with deep shavings for bedding and a heat lamp if it's supposed to be in the low 50's tonight?

Last edited:
If you do, make sure NO wind drafts will hit them and the heat lamp is out there with them keeping it nice and hot. I would recommend waiting since the cold can still easily kill 3 week old chicks. A little more waiting for their safety might be worth it.

Mine are 5 wk old and have been out the past 2 nights, but its still 97 at 9pm!! Today they stayed out all day with fan and wet rug on top and wet ground. So far so good

pam in TX

As long as you can maintain 75-80 degrees under the lamp, they will be fine! I got mine in March. They were raised outside in a poorly enclosed porch. Their brooder was a 4'x4' cardboard box with about 6" shavings on a concrete floor. When they were 3 days old, it went down to the teens. I brought them in that night. The next AM they went back out. I think yours will be fine.

Last edited:
If you do put them outside I have found that 11 is the magic number for a heat lamp (at least here in Oregon) anymore and someone always seems to get squeshed to death under the chick pile... it's a very sad way to lose a chick
sad.png
but mine have been outside since they were 3 weeks old to make room for the last hatch and we get down to the low 40's everynight and everyone is alive and well!

OK, now you guys have me thinking they'll be fine. I think I'll try it but go out around 11pm to check them.

I have 4 week old chicks out in the coop that i hatched... no heat lamp... just a very friendly rooster haha

Our chicks were always outside-we never did (and never would) have them in the house. We hung a heat lamp in the coop and they were fine. We had some cool nights and no problems. In fact, when they were just 10 days old our power went out for about 16 hours and their coop was down to 65 degrees and they were fine-not huddled together at all and they were walking around eating and drinking just like normal.

20 yrs ago I raised chicks and never had them in the house-and I had from 25 to 100 chicks at a time in the building where I kept them under a heat lamp.

Back
Top Bottom