3 week old chick's picking at sibling till bloody

Foxeh

In the Brooder
Nov 3, 2016
South Australia
I have 6 three weeks old chicks and they have started to pick on one of the siblings, they all came from the same place and have been together since the beginning, ive separateed this one from the others and I just don't know what to do.

Last edited:
Welcome! I would spray something like bluekote on the wounds, so they aren't red. Then, how much space do they have? Diet? Heat lamp red or white light, or heating pad? Usually there's some problem with space, light, feed, or boredom. Mary

At three weeks, chicks are getting extremely active, and they require a lot of space. When this need isn't met, chicks will turn on one another, and the result isn't pretty.

Your chicks are probably old enough to begin spending some time outside on nice days. That will help them dissipate a lot of excess energy. It will also begin to acclimate them to cooler temperatures, and you can then think about moving them into the coop (you do have a coop don't you?) in another week or so.

If you continue to have one chick bullying the others, you might want to read the article I wrote for BYC on how to stop aggressive chick behavior. It's linked below under "articles by azygous".

i think the issue was lack of space, I've moved the 5 out into a rabbit hutch thing inside the coop with our duck, and have this injured one inside and s/he is getting lots of cuddles, luckily its summer so I don't need to heat them at the moment.

Do you have any suggestions for like toys or something i can do to help them get out extra energy?

Back
Top Bottom